Shooting at Forest High

-A A +A

One injured, suspect in custody

By Jim Clark
South Marion Citizen
OCALA -- A 17-year-old student was injured and his assailant was taken into custody in a shooting at Forest High School Friday morning.
The 19-year-old non-student suspect, Sky Bouche of NW 7th Ave., Crystal River,  was confronted by the school resource officer, Deputy Jim Long, within three minutes of the 8:39 shooting. During the capture of the shooter, no shots were fired, according to Sheriff Billy Woods, who briefed the media around noon. He added that the suspect offered no resistance.
He said the injuries to the student were not life-threatening. The name of the victim was not immediately released.
Later, while discussing social media and reported threats. Woods commented, “I think social media is the most evil thing that has ever been created.” After saying that he and the Sheriff’s Office use it, he added, “Social media is destructive.”
After warning parents and students about posting such items, he added, “If we find it to be in violation of the law, we have zero tolerance. I will not tolerate it.”
At his press conference, Woods commented, “In Marion County, Forest is our second largest high school with over 2,000 students. I want to assure Marion County residents that today, they should be proud of their first responders.
“I commend also the school system, for their protocols in place, because what they put in place saved lives today.”
There were questions about the fact that Friday was the 19th anniversary of Columbine and students were demonstrating all over the country against gun violence.
“It’s a shame what society has come to and we even have to be here on a school campus,” Woods said. “This is not just a law enforcement problem, it’s a society problem. My  emotions are running rampant. I spent from 3:30 in the afternoon yesterday until 10 o’clock at night with my fellow sheriff in Gilchrist County,  where two deputies were killed absolutely for no reason.
Then we have an incident like this. I’m angry, I’m sad and I want to do something.
“We will do something and we are doing something as was evident what was accomplished in the success of the first responders today.”
SWAT did a sweep of the school after the shooting. Students were bused to First Baptist Church on Maricamp Road for parent pickup.

Bouche allegedly entered the school with a shotgun in a guitar case. He was charged with terrorism, aggravated assault with a firearm, culpable negligence, carrying a concealed firearm, possession of a weaopn on school property, possession of a short-barreled shotgun interference in a school function and armed trespass on school property.

Reports of a gun at West Port High School proved to be unfounded.

Later in the day, the school system released the following message:

"Good afternoon, students and parents. Law enforcement has cleared the Forest High school campus, so students, you may return to campus between 2 and 4 p.m. today to retrieve your belongings and your vehicles. You will see deputies are still on campus for added security. Again, you have until 4 today to retrieve your personal belongings from campus.

It's been a tough day for all of us, and we're fortunate things were not worse. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Our goal is always to keep our students and staff safe. Today, that happened because our students, staff, and law enforcement responded quickly and appropriately.